I was given a good harvest of British grapes so I decided to make grape jelly.
- Wash grapes and get rid of the bad ones
- Weigh them (I had 500g)
- Put in a pan and heat up until the juices run
- Mash the grapes and continue to simmer for another ten minutes
- Drain the grapes overnight with some kitchen roll in a sieve
- Add 250g jam sugar to the grape juice and the juice of half a lemon
- Bring to the boil and let it bubble for 10 minutes
- Blob a bit of the jelly on a cold plate and smudge your finger through it. It’s ready when it has started to set.
- Pour into a sterile jar
Smother generously on toast. I made this last year with caster sugar and it didn’t work very well so stick to jam sugar! I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow…..